Sunday 1 April 2012

A Make a Month - March

Ok ok, I know. It's late. but here is my Make a Month for March.

I figured that if I really was going to achieve a Make  a Month then I had to try some smaller projects.

I'm not sure if I ever posted about it, but about a year ago I received a rather bizarre anonymous parcel in the post. The envelope had been opened in the post (by accident I think) and the put into a plastic postage bag and sent on by Royal Mail. It was just a plain envelope with a book inside it.

This book in fact:

Knitted Cakes (Twenty to Make)


Obviously it was lovely to receive a present thro the post but it was really bizarre because there was no note in the envelope (it had fallen out when the envelope opened) and it was sent to my mum's house. I hadnt lived there for about 5 years by this point. So that narrowed it down to someone who knew I knitted but didn't have my new address and therefore wasn't one of the people who had sent me any birthday or Christmas cards. (A key bit of info believe it or not)

The other useful clue was that the envelope had been reused. It had a sticker over the name on the front and if you held it up to the light it said 'Colin'.

Luckily there is only one Colin we know - my uncle. You might think it a little strange that my aunt (my mum's sister) hadnt sent me any birthday or Christmas cards but she's a Jehovah's Witness so actually, it made sense that she would only have my mum's address.

So mum gave her a call and explained the mysterious package and the dishevelled state it had arrived it and guess what........ Hurrah! It was from her!!!

But I've never actually made any of the cakes from the book.

Until now!!!


One of the lovely ladies I worked with at my last school moved to Wiltshire a few years ago and has set up her own business making cupcakes. She was always an amazing baker when she lived nearer and it was a highlight of popping over to see her and her gorgeous boys. But now she's too far away to share her baked goodness with me anymore. :(

Have a look at her facebook page and like it. She's amazing. The designs she comes up with are pretty cool.

https://www.facebook.com/LoveCupCakesCalne

So guess what. I thought I'd knit her some cupcakes. I looked through to book and the cupcakes pattern called for some size 13 needles (2.25mm) and some size 10 dpns (3.25mm) but I didnt have any.

So I popped down to the Work Aid store (I'll have to post about that another day) and got the exact needles I needed for £1.50!!!!! yes, the exact needles i needed, a pair and a set of 4 dpns for £1.50!!!

Have a look here:
http://www.workaid.org/index.html


These are the beauties:

And here they are in action:


Can you guess what it is yet?? (hehehehe)



And here is the finished product:





I'm making another yellow one too but it's too dark to photograph it now.





Have a look at the other Make a Months over here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1830468@N20/

1 comment:

  1. What a great story, and what a lovely cupcake you've made! Thank you for the inspiration, I think my little miss E. would love to have one like that, so I'll put knitted cakes on my to do-list. Packages sent by post are the best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...